Health and Care has never been a high priority than now. While we hope the worst of the pandemic is behind us the recovery is fragile, and the impact it has had on our health and wellbeing, as well as the health services we rely on, will unfortunately remain for some time to come.
I am committed to working to improve physical and mental health services, both locally and through supporting legislation in Parliament. Key priorities must be to ensure access to health services, address backlogs and delays to treatment as a result of the pandemic, ensure NHS capacity to deal with expected winter pressures, improve mental health service provision, both locally and through changes to the Mental Health Act in Parliament, to improve social care provision and ensure a more co-ordinated health and care service, easy to access and free at the point of use.
To deliver this I will:
- Work closely with Ashford and St Peter's Hospital Foundation Trust and support them in efforts to boost capacity, improve service provision and reduce waiting times
- Support Surrey County Council and the ICP to deliver improvements to mental health services, especially CAHMS, and promote increased co-ordination between them, Surrey and Borders, our schools and community organisations to deliver tailored support when and where it is needed.
- Help to drive progress on the Weybridge Health Centre, working with Surrey County Council, Surrey Heartlands CCG and Elmbridge Borough Council to rebuild the site and deliver same day access to health services
- Advocate on behalf of residents where concerns arise over provision of local services, such as access to GP appointments. I am working with our CCGs to address issues and am happy to meet GP surgeries directly to help identify and resolve any issues arising.
- raise the importance of accessibility of health services with local stakeholders, ensuring changes implemented in response to the pandemic do not limit access due to digital exclusion or disability.
- Work with Government colleagues to support investment and improvement in the NHS.