You will no doubt have seen the announcement that Runnymede and Weybridge will now enter Tier 4 restrictions from midnight tonight. This means rules similar to those of the national lockdown will be in place. In summary:
• People must stay at home unless for limited exemptions set out in law
• Non-essential retail, indoor leisure, including gyms, hairdressers and other personal care providers must close.
• People should work from home where possible, but can travel to work if not.
• You can meet with one other person from another household in a public outdoor space
• People should not leave nor enter Tier 4 areas, and people from Tier 4 areas must not stay away from home overnight
Unlike the national restrictions, communal worship can continue to take place. The full text of the Prime Minister's statement is available here.
Unfortunately this also means the planned relaxation for Christmas has also been cancelled. People within Tier 4 areas should not meet anyone outside of their household, support or childcare bubble over the Christmas period, including Christmas Day.
These new rules have been introduced due to concerns over a new variant of covid which is spreading quickly in London and the South East. It is critical that we use the coming weeks to learn as much as we can about this variant, including its rate of transmission and how likely it is to cause severe illness, to ensure our response is tailored to the threat this poses.
I realise everyone will be incredibly disappointed by this announcement, and many will be upset that plans for Christmas and to see loved ones cannot go ahead. I share your disappointment, but would urge everyone to follow the rules, as only by bringing transmission rates under control can we hope to ease the restrictions we now face.