As part of the government’s coronavirus business support package Runnymede and Elmbridge Borough Councils have already provided over £22 million of grant funding, supporting over 1,600 local businesses.
“I am delighted that already over one thousand local businesses have received direct grant funding support. It is essential that we continue to support local businesses and the jobs they provide, not only will this secure people’s livelihoods but also will ensure we are all in the best position possible to support a return to normal once this crisis has passed.” – Dr Ben Spencer MP
Across England local authorities have already paid out over £6 billion to nearly half a million business properties, as of 20 April. This grant funding comprises of payments made under the Small Business Grants Fund and the Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Business Grants Fund.
Eligible businesses are being contacted by their local authority, however it is important that businesses who have been contacted respond quickly to ensure they can benefit. Any businesses who believe they are eligible should check the arrangements in their area on their local authority website if they have yet to be contacted. For Runnymede please visit: https://www.runnymede.gov.uk/article/14499/Business and for Weybridge businesses please visit: https://www.elmbridge.gov.uk/business-rates/business-rates/
- The Small Business Grants Fund is a £10,000 grant per eligible business. Businesses included in this scheme are those which on 11 March were eligible for relief under the Small Business Rate Relief Scheme.
- The Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Business Grants Fund, announced on 17 March. Businesses that were eligible on 11 March for a discount under the Expanded Retail Discount scheme and with a rateable value of less than £51,000 in these sectors:
- with a property that has a rateable value of up to and including £15,000 will receive a grant of £10,000
- with a property that has a rateable value of over £15,000 and less than £51,000 will receive a grant of £25,000
- Figures for Runnymede and Elmbridge grant funding represent the total grants by both local authorities. Figures are available by local authority only and are not reflective of constituency or other boundaries. Figures for each authority are set out below:
- Runnymede Borough Council: 459 grants issued at a value of £6,465,000
- Elmbridge Borough Council: 1144 grants issues at a value of £15,955,000